Monday, June 29, 2009

Update from Kansas!

Heyyyyy.

We finally made it to Kansas after a long day yesterday.

We woke up and Dave started working on the exhaust while I started getting the camper packed in. He finished the exhaust, and we left Mulberry Grove IL. We got on the road...around 12. And we're off, towards St. Louis...about 60 miles.

From about 20 miles off, we could see the archway over the landscape. We parked in the RV parking, which was pretty far down the road from the archway. THE ARCH IS HUUUUUUUGE! It's pretty damn cool. We took lots of pictures, and we went to go on the tram up to the top, but the next one was leaving an hour later than we were there, and that would have set up way far back. We had to go through metal detectors and they xrayed our stuff on the way in...that took up time.

We decided against going on the tram, so we went into the gift shop and bought postcards! And then we looked at the Westward Expansion museum...and then went out and took more pictures. We selftimered one of us with the arch in the background, pretty cool. We then went to eat, at a pizza place with St. Louis style pizza, which was square and thin and flat. On the way walking to the restaurant I took my phone out of my bra, where I was keeping it due to lack of pockets, and it says it needs initial programming. There is no service in order to call the number...so phone is screwed. We eat, and then walk to the car and GTFO of St. Louis. When we stop for gas in Wentzville MO, we find a Verizon store. We tell them what happened, that it stopped working after the X-Ray machine...and they don't seem to want to really help me. They try to update the software, but it doesn't help...so they want to call Asurion and get a new (refurb) phone mailed to me. I tell the guy I don't have an address. He asks where we will be staying tonight, and we have no idea. He really doesn't want to help me...at all. I'm getting annoyed, but trying to stay calm...
Finally he says he will do an emergency in store insurance claim and get me a new phone. I pick out a EnV Touch, and pay the 50 dollar deductible, and boom, out of there. Took over an hour to get the guy to do that.
Annoying.

Back on the road...it's around 630 now. Drive until we need gas again, and we eat then too. Ends up we eat truck stop food, what a shitty dinner, but oh well. We still have a long way to go...

Finally we hit Kansas...and then finally get to Salina KOA at around 2am. We fill out a registration card, covered in bugs, bleck...
and go to set up the camper. Dave goes "Lover, what'd you do with the crank?" and I told him I remember putting it in the cabinet where it goes. It's not there. Then I remember that Dave cranked the camper up in St. Louis to get another shirt to change into, so I ask him what he did with it. He figures he didn't put it away, so now we are crankless.
He has to figure out another way to open the damn camper. He sticks a wrench handle in the hole, and uses vice grips to turn it to crank it up...takes FOREVER!
Finally we are set up, and I basically pass right out. I had slept in the car on and off too, I was supposed to drive, but Dave never told me to so, that didn't happen.

We are now in Kansas, I'm waiting for Dave to shower so we can leave...
It's hot here. I'll try to update again...tonight...

1 comment:

  1. Glad you guys are doing good! Sucks about your phone.

    ReplyDelete